Saturday, May 19, 2012

I Will Remember You

I watch them together
The woman near the end of her life
And the girl just 10 years into hers
They share stories about their lives
One remembering every detail of her childhood
While having trouble remembering what she had for breakfast.
The other is so full of stories about "today"
You would think she had already lived 3 lifetimes
The woman asks the girl a question
I can see the confusion and slight frustration
Cross both their faces
One knows she should know the answer
The other has given the answer many times already
("How old are you now?" "Ten")
Today is one of the "bad" ones
Her memory is only minutes long
She looks at the girl, a little sad
"What will we do when I can't remember you?"
The girl walks over to her
Hugs her tight
And with a slight sadness in her voice
Whispers, "I will remember you"
          5/19/12

No comments:

Post a Comment