Thursday, May 24, 2012

Music Soothes the Soul

I remember the first time I heard it
I thought it was a recording
Just to help us stay on key
My breath caught in my throat
I felt goose bumps on my arm
And a tingle went up my back
When it unexpectedly stopped
I looked around to see who had shut it off
All I could see was the boys
Standing just to my left
All their mouths moving, except one
Just as I turned back to read the next verse
The beautiful sound started up again
I couldn’t believe it
I didn’t know music could sound like this
Or at least not outside the Tabernacle Choir
Or some other group, like Manheim Steamroller
Not here, in small town Idaho
And definitely not from this little group
Of grieving grandchildren
Trying to hold back tears
While sending off their grandmother
With a song
I remember so many other times
I heard that music again
In church, at the holidays, even on long drives
Each time, taking me by surprise
Making me look around in wonder
Thinking it must be coming from Heaven
But finding only a single voice
Singing to my heart and soul
Making me feel enveloped in peace
Longing to always feel this way
So many years passed
With the music gone
Almost forgotten
Then a momentary thought
Brought it back
Still as strong and beautiful
In my memory
Still taking my breath
Giving me goose bumps
And the shiver up my back
          5/24/12

No comments:

Post a Comment